Founded August 27th, 1993 with 52 charter members, SHAPT has the honor of being Texas's first local chapter. We have a long history of serving play therapy, and play therapists, in Houston. The mission of SHAPT, like the Association of Play Therapy, is to promote the value of play therapy and credentialed play therapists.
GOALS OF SHAPT
- Seek to advance the discipline of play therapy.
- Conduct and foster programs of education in the field of play therapy.
- Promote sound play therapy practices in the interest of society and the individual.
- Advance high standards of professional conduct by conducting educational and professional meetings and conferences.
- Inform and educate the general public and the mental health community about the play therapy profession.
- Establish contacts with various organizations for support and educational pursuits; and
- To advocate for the rights of children, their families, and significant others.